At the end of each author study, we try to do some sort of culminating activity- something really fun to wrap up what we did with the students. Today, we made candy sushi! We read the book Yoko which is about a little girl whose mother made her sushi to take to school for lunch. Other students made fun of her different food and teased her until Yoko's teacher came up with an idea for International Day and the students all tried different foods. We talked about teasing, what it felt like when someone teased us and the importance of trying new foods.
To my surprise, many of my students eat sushi on a somewhat regular basis. Of course, I do need to keep in mind that they are 5 and you can only believe half of what they say! :)
One of my teammates found a recipe for candy sushi and I decided to give it a try. I made the rice crispy treats last night and brought them in today so all we needed to do was assemble and roll the "sushi."
Rice crispy treats, gummy worms, swedish fish, and fruit roll-ups
Put the fruit roll-up on a greased piece of wax paper
Spread the rice crispy treats on the fruit roll up
Put the gummy worm or swedish fish onto the "rice"
Begin to roll
And, roll
Cut
Viola! Candy sushi!
They loved it!
I LOVE candy sushi =) I use to make this when I hosted parties in college =) they were always a pretty big hit =)
ReplyDeleteThta is such a cute idea! I will have to keep this one in mind!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cute! I love that you did this with them. I see so many cute ideas for elementary school in the blogging world and wish that I could find a way to tie it in to middle school history. Somehow I just don't see this fitting. Anywhere you can see it? :)
ReplyDeleteUmmm I want!
ReplyDeleteHow fun!!! Is it sad that I want to taste? Haha.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness that is SUCH a cute idea!! I'm sure adults would love those at a party too! :p
ReplyDelete