Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pre-Cana Nerves

On Saturday, Blake and I will be going to our first day of Pre-Cana.  For those of you unfamiliar, it's the pre-marriage counseling for the Catholic Church.  We had the option of choosing a weekend retreat from Friday night-Sunday afternoon or two Saturday sessions.  We opted for the 2 Saturdays.  I thought it would be plain weird to be sharing a hotel room with a stranger (Blake would be in a different room). 

I have heard from many people that it is a much better experience than you expect and you leave feeling very close.  However, I worry that there will be lots of lectures and biblical quoting.  Blake is Lutheran so I hope it's not all about Natural Family Planning and why Catholicism is so wonderful.  I'm also worried that we're going to have to answer relationship questions and then share our questions with strangers!  Agh.  That just freaks me out.  Rationally thinking, I'm sure we won't have to do that but the irrational part of me isn't so sure. 

I do know that we will only take away what we put into it... I am hoping we learn more about each other, communication tools and problem-solving tools for our future.  My sister, Katie, told me there were quite a few couples in her Pre-Cana session that had apparently not had some pretty major conversations (kids/no kids, how much in debt they were, etc.)  Blake and I have had a lot of those conversations (after all, it's been 6 years!) but I do hope we are asked to discuss issues that we have not thought about or issues that could be potentionally upsetting.  After all, isn't the point to identify challanges your marriage may face?

Here's to hoping it will be an enlightening and positive experience!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry! Everything will be okay! You'll continue to learn about each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I love comments! :)