Saturday, March 20, 2010

Five Languages of Love

I was nervous about our first day of Pre-Cana for no reason.  However, it was a long day!  It was a day that was full of lectures and after each lecture we did have the opportunity to reflect on the lecture and answer some questions out of our workbook. 

But, the most interesting thing I learned was Dr. Chapman's concept on the Five Languages of Love.  According to Dr. Chapman, every person speaks at least one of the five languages and many people speak more than one. 

The Five Languages of Love:

1.  Words of Affirmation- These are thh words that build up the other person, "I appreciate all the hard work you did."  "You look very pretty in that dress."

2. Gift-Giving- A gift tells the other person that you are thikning of them even though you are apart.  The gift doesn't have to be expensive, but somethign that is meaningful to the other person.

3.  Acts of Service- Doing somethign kind for the other tells them that you care.  It can be cooking a meal, doing the dishes, opening the car door, or filling up the car with gas.  Doing somethign you know the other person would like you to do is an act of love.

4.  Quality Time- Setting aside all else that you are doing and giving the one you love your undivided attention will tell them they are important to you. 

5.  Touch- A huge or holding someone's hand can let you know that you are there for them.  Touch communicates affection. 

I found that my primary language of love is gift giving and then acts of service.  Blake's primary language is acts of service and then touch.  I found these results to be very interesting- giving gifts has always been something that I've really enjoyed doing and even though I didn't pinpoint it until today, receiving a gift is a way that I feel loved.  It is also the language that Blake listed last!  This is funny because this was often a way that I've showed Blake love over the course of our relationship; however, this was not a way that Blake showed love often.  Now, I know why!  We will definitely be working on this!



*All information taken out of workbook, "Preparing for the Sacrament of Marriage" by the Archdiocese of Washington.  To learn more about Dr. Chapman, click here.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could find the stuff Kurt and I had about this. I remember us having them in different orders, but I don't remember what orders they were!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I love comments! :)