Saturday, March 6, 2010

Congratulations Derek and Caroline!

Our good friends, Caroline and Derek, just had their first baby!  A baby boy, Charlie Mason.  He is perfect.



He came 4 weeks early!  (He is healthy and okay even though he was a month early) In all the excitement of finding out she was in labor and finding out what the sex of the baby was, I neglected to think about what it must be like to have your life turn completely upside down a month early. 

All in all, the timing really worked out for them.  They had Caroline's surprise 30th birthday on Saturday, finished their maternity pictures on Monday night, and had their car seat installed on Tuesday morning.  Tuesday night... LABOR. 

However, they did not have any baby names picked out yet.  And, since they didn't know the sex of the baby, they had to come up with twice as many possibilities.  It did take them 2 days to choose a name- but considering it took them 10 days to name one of their dogs, 2 days is great!  Of course, they did have a deadline, they had to choose a name by the time they left the hospital.  So, it is Charlie Mason. 


I must say that I'm not looking forward to choosing a name for our future children- Blake and I have VERY different ideas of good names for children. 

Some of his:
1. Genevieve
2. Zeus (Do not even get me started on this, ridiculous!  I really hope he always suggests this name as a joke because, well.  He could not possibly really like this name, right?)
3. Layla (I actually like this one)
4. Thor

Some of mine:
1. Patrick (I have a cousin who is one year old than me so this may not work out for me)
2. Noah (this is a new one as of earlier this week, so it may be a fad!)
3. Madison
4. Hailey
5. Logan (I love the name Logan Patrick)
6. Andrew (to be called Drew)
7. Abby

Of course Blake is a third... so I may not have a choice.  But right now, I really don't want a Edward Blake IV!)

But imagine, thinking you have about 30 more days until another life is dependent on you.  Even if you're prepared to go early, 4 weeks is still much different than 2 weeks.  Or, it is to this non-mother.  :)   But, poor Caroline, her baby shower got snowed out a few weeks ago and it was rescheduled for this Saturday.  Now, it is rescheduled again. 

I know that she will be a FABULOUS mother and is probably not even phased by this.  But, I can't but thinking how unprepared I would be!


(Excuse our jerseys, it was sports day at school today!)

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog, and cute baby! :) Thanks for the comment, hopefully as time goes on I'll learn to love math. 2nd grade math isn't so bad, but I'm dreading my final placement in 4th grade. I'll be teaching fractions and decimals!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment, I love comments! :)