I absolutely love the story of the night we got engaged!
(An engagement picture)
I was out at another teacher's house for a happy hour after a long week at school. My friend, Kate, asked me when I was leaving. I was pretty tired at the time and told her probably in about 15 minutes or so. Unbeknowst to me, Blake had called her husband Kurt to find out when we would be leaving and getting home. Kate received a text from Kurt along the lines of: "Blake wants to know when you guys will be home. TONIGHT's the night." More on their role in all of this later.
So, I left and called my parents. I talked to them on the way home and I walked in the door and the first thing I noticed was that the kitchen was clean! Then, Blake walked up into the kitchen with a HUGE bouquet of flowers. I told my dad that I had to get off the phone with him because Blake had flowers and I wasn't sure why. (Of course, my dad knew!) Everyone always asks me if I knew then but I truly didn't because it wasn't completely out of the ordinary for Blake to bring me home flowers and I had, had a particularly long, hard week at school.
I had to take a picture because I had never gotten flowers this big!
The first thing I always do whenever I get flowers is to take them out of their wrapping and put them into a vase. So, I started arranging flowers in vases (I ended up needing 3 regular size vases and 1 bud vase) and as I was arranging, I felt something hard...
I looked down and yep! It was THE box!
Blake had the florist put it in the bouquet (below all the flowers). Anyway, my heart started racing and the next thing I knew Blake was down on his knee! He said a lot of beautiful things which I don't remember exactly (how bad is that?!), we both cried and I said, "YES."
He made dinner reservations at a restaurant where I used to always go with my grandparents for fancy occasions. It used to be in Bethesda but they moved locations and we still go but not nearly as often. So, on our way, he called a lot of our friends and family to share our good news! My dad told me that he and my mom were waiting by the phone because they knew we were getting engaged! Blake had talked them about a week before and he wasn't sure when and how he was going to do it. But, my dad said when I told him I had to go because Blake had flowers, he immediately got my mom and waited impatiently for us to call!
At the restaurant!
Back to Kate and Kurt's connection. Apparently, Blake had asked Kate way back in October about rings for me... he bought one when he was home for Thanksgiving and was going to propose while we were decorating our Christmas tree. Unbeknownst to him, my sister's husband (then boyfriend), Anthony had already asked permission and ended up proposing to my sister in early December. So, Blake waited and held onto the ring. He actually had it hidden in a dresser drawer from December until he proposed in February!!! So, Kate and Kurt knew it ws coming for about five months! She can definitely keep a secret!
The conspirators the next night at a birthday party
Blake and I the next night at the birthday party
It was a WONDERFUL night!

Love hearing it all over! I was honored to be part of the whole thing!
ReplyDeleteAnd...I think I surprised many with my secret-keeping skills! Haha!
ReplyDeleteThose flowers are so pretty! And I love that he hid the ring inside the actual flowers
ReplyDelete